Monday 24 April 2017

Sekerpare

Sekerpare is a much loved Turkish dessert, made in Turkish homes, which means "a piece of sweetness." Mainly prepared by baking some soft balls of almond based pastry dipped in thick flavored sugar syrup.



 When I first read about this recipe, I was so much skeptical to try it out. I have never poured sugar syrup on cookies and didn’t know how they would turn. But still the recipe interested me. The cookie dough has semolina in it and this remins me of the Basboussa I have made earlier. Basboussa is bakes as a cake while sekerpare is baked as a cookie. But they taste similar. The cookies while coming out of oven are crispy. Cool syrup is poured over hot cookies and let to soak. After some time the cookies take up all the syrup and become soft. When you take a bite, you will get the crispy nut on top and soft sugar syrup soaked cookie and together it was fantastic.



Each cookie has a pistachio on top. But when I baked the cookie, I didn't have pistas in hand. After baking, I poured the sugar syrup and that time I got the pistas. I just placed the pistas on top of these cookies and they stuck there because of the sugar syrup. Lovely cookies I say.

Recipe Source: Gayathriscookspot
Country: Turkey




Ingredients:

For The Cookies:

Flour-1 cup
Sooji/ Semolina-1/4 cup
Sugar-1/4 cup
Curd-1/8 cup
Butter-1/3 cup
Baking Powder-1/2 tsp
Pistachios for topping


For The Syrup:

Sugar-1/3 cup
Water- 1/2 cup



Method:


  • First make the sugar syrup and allow it to cool completely before baking the cookies.
  • Add water to sugar and bring it to boil.
  • Simmer and let it boil for 10 minutes until thick and syrupy.
  • Set aside to cool.
  • Preheat oven to 180°C.
  • In a bowl cream together butter and sugar.
  • Add the curd and beat until fluffy.
  • Add the flour, sooji and baking powder.
  • Make small balls out of the dough and press to make a cookie.
  • Arrange on a greased baking tray.
  • Top each cookie with a pistachio nut.
  • Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
  • Arrange the baked cookies on a plate and pour cool syrup on top of each cookie.
  • After some time the cookie would have absorbed all the syrup.
  • Serve along with a cup of coffee.







Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 75




9 comments:

  1. The cookies look lovely. Wish I could grab them off the screen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe sounds delicious , I am drooling over it while reading ! The sugar syrup must be giving them extra flavour , must try these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those perfect shape Ruchi. Very nice... Great pick for S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feel like munching this fabulous Sekerpare, such a beautiful cookies..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also made these but yours look so firm and fantastic!..wonderful pick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These have been on my to-bake list for a very long time. Your post is tempting me to try these very very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I remember baking and relishing them a couple of years back. Yours looks tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just love this cookies. Always love Almond flour based bake.. Just Wow..

    ReplyDelete