Monday 20 April 2015

Veg puffs

Today is the 17th day of the blogging marathon. Two more weeks to go.... After this I have a huge task of checking my fellow bloggers recipes and commenting on them. I have managed to do a very few until now...

Vegetable puffs are one of my favourite snacks from the Indian bakeries. Come to think of it - I enjoy any type of puffs whatever be the stuffing... the crunchy outside and the soft layered bread inside ooohhh.... I never imagined I can make one like these.. When I was younger I thought such items like the cake, bread, puffs etc can only be store brought ... can never be made at home. With experience now whenever I pick any processed food off the shelf in super markets I start thinking of how can I make this at home.



Ingredients – (Makes about 8 large puffs)

Puff pastry sheet – 1 package (2 sheets)
Potato – 2 large (cooked, peeled and mashed)
Onion – 1 medium (finely chopped)
Tomato - 1 medium (finely chopped)
Oil – 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – ½ tsp
Garam masala – ½ tsp
Amchur powder – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste


Method:

Please find the preparation of puff pastry sheets here

To make the filling:

Wash, peel and cook the potatoes in the microwave until soft. Mash it up using a fork.
In a pan, heat the oil and then add the cumin seeds. Add the chopped onions, Sauté them until golden brown.
Add the chopped tomatoes and saute until the water from tomatoes is consumed. 
Add the other spices, add the cooked/mashed potatoes. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Sprinkle some water, if needed and cook the masala in low flame. The filling should be dry. Keep it aside to cool.


To make the puffs:

Preheat the oven to 425 F. Line 2 baking sheet with foil or parchment sheet.
Divide the puff pastry sheets to 6 pieces. 
Place about a tablespoon of filling on one side of the pastry sheet and fold it over itself, seal the edges well.
Repeat the same with the remaining sheets. 
Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and puffed up.
Serve warm with ketchup or Tomato sauce!













19 comments:

  1. That looks awesome... It is one of my fav baked goodie.. Yummm

    ReplyDelete
  2. My all time favorite bakery item. Perfectly made -- looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most favourite flaky puffs.. Love it to the core.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done,puffs look nice and tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was my favorite when I was a kid. Very well made. Nice and flaky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my favorite bakery item when growing up. Puffs came out good

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my Favorite.. looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks very nice..I love puffs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was one of my favorite baked items when in India and one of the things I learned to bake initially. Your puffs are looking really good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite snack. Its very filling too

    ReplyDelete
  11. These puffs are very popular with us and our friends!! These look perfectly done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhhh ! For some puff pastry here back in India...

    These puffs are so tempting

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking at veg puffs always makes me nostalgic. Remembering the college days. Yours have turned out perfect..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Flaky puffs , these look delicious .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Veg puffs reminds me of college days. Yous look great !!

    ReplyDelete